Senior Center resources during COVID-19 outbreak
The Iowa City/Johnson County Senior Center is closed until at least Monday, April 13, 2020, to slow the spread of coronavirus, also known as COVID-19. In this time of social distancing, The Center remains committed to creating opportunities to support wellness, social connections, community engagement and lifelong learning for our diverse and growing older adult population.
All Senior Center programs, events and classes are currently cancelled and staff members are working to develop new virtual programming. The Center is also sharing an abundance of ideas and outside resources for remote engagement and lifelong learning opportunities during the closure.
Stay Connected while at Home
- Staff is working to connect via phone or email to all 1,700+ Senior Center members during this closure
- Browse an informal archive of links and recommendations for staying engaged from home at icgov.org/senior
- Call 319-356-5220 and leave a voicemail to subscribe to The Center's weekly emails
- Follow “Iowa City Senior Center” on Facebook to see daily posts and resources
- Explore The Center’s YouTube channel to view archived programs
- Answer a few questions about how you're doing, what needs and challenges you're facing at this time and how The Center can help by taking a short survey at icgov.org/senior
Meal Program Update
Alternative options are available for community members that rely on the congregate meal program or Simple & Free Pantry Exchange at The Center. Individuals in need of food assistance can call The Center at 319-356-5220 for help in receiving Meals on Wheels or requesting a Food Bank delivery from CommUnity Crisis Center. Please leave a voicemail with your contact information and a staff member will return your call ASAP.
Due to this closure, current Senior Center members (as of 3/9/2020) have had their memberships extended by two months.
Community members interested in volunteering with The Center can complete the Volunteer Application at icgov.org/senior. Charitable donations to support The Center’s mission can be made online at icseniorcenterfriends.org.
COVID-19 Information for Older Adults
When it comes to your health, be sure your information is from a reliable source. Here are a few trusted sites to get timely information about the rapidly changing COVID-19 pandemic.
Contact The Center
The Center will continue to provide updates as information is available and will follow guidance from federal, state, and local experts to determine when it is safe to reopen the building and resume regular programming.
For information or assistance, leave a voicemail at 319-356-5220 and a Senior Center staff member will return your call, or email email@example.com. The Senior Center website can be accessed 24/7 at icgov.org/senior.