Friends of The Center supports the programs and services of the Iowa City/Johnson County Senior Center. Only with generous gifts from Friends donors can we ensure that so many of The Center’s programs, services and amenities remain free and available to members and to the community at large.
Three times per year, we publish the Program Guide, complete with all the programs and services available for the season.
The Center’s programs include many free and low-cost classes, events and groups, some requiring membership and some open to the public.
- The Center offers more than 25 categories of classes, covering a wide range of interests and topics.
- Members are eligible for reduced participation fees for select classes.
- Community events
- Concerts, performances, films and lectures
- Art exhibits and opening receptions
- Intergenerational events
- Open houses, orientations and tours
- Groups and clubs
- Leisure activities
- Discussion groups
- Support groups
- Language clubs
- Music, theater and dance groups
- Volunteer programs
In the interest of supporting optimal health and social connections, The Center provides a number of amenities for its members as well as the community.
Amenities for members:
- Exercise rooms (including accessible exercise equipment)
- Private, accessible showers
- Billiards room
- Computer lab
Amenities for members and the community:
- Curated art exhibit space
- The Center’s Old Post Office Gallery is included on the Iowa City Gallery Walk.
- For information about exhibiting art in the Old Post Office Gallery, Learn More.
- Senior Center Television
- Volunteer opportunities and training for adults of all ages
- Community programming and video production services
- Room rentals
- For information about renting a room at the Iowa City/Johnson County Senior Center, Learn More.
To further assist members and the community, The Center and partner organizations provide a variety of services to help people with tax preparation, health insurance decisions, legal concerns, healthcare, counseling and nutrition.
Free services offered by The Center:
- Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP)
- Honoring Your Wishes advance care planning
- AARP Foundation Tax Aide Program
- Legal counseling
- Mental health counseling
- Alternative therapies, such as Healing Touch
The Center provides free work space for these partner organizations:
- Visiting Nurse Association Services
A number of healthcare services are provided on site at The Center, either free or for a fee in Room G03. For details, call: 319-337-9686, ext. 1100 or Learn More.
- Elder Services, Inc. Meal Program
Low cost meals are available weekdays in the Senior Center Assembly Room. For information, call 319-338-0515 or Learn More.
- TRAIL - Tools and Resources for Active, Independent Living
Membership-based services to help older adults remain in their own homes as they age are coordinated from TRAIL’s office in Room 201. To learn more, Learn More.
For details about utilizing these community resources, please contact us.